Prospective Board of Education Candidates
Board members are advocates for public education and have many responsibilities. Candidates must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be able to read and write
- Be a district resident for at least one year prior to the election
- Not be employed by the board on which he or she serves
- Not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family
- Not hold another incompatible public office
Filing for Candidacy
- Candidates for seats on boards of education must file petitions 30 days prior to the election (20 days for small cities).
- Petitions must contain the required amount of valid signatures. The required amount of signatures is equal to 2 percent of the voters in the previous annual school board election, or at least 25 names -- whichever is greater.
- Voting takes place on the third Tuesday in May.
The Monroe County School Boards Association has additional resources about the election process and member responsibilities.